At the beginning of the colonial era, the group of local indigenous people, harassed by the attackers from the Caribbean, were displaced four times from their urban seats, until they settled between Acoyapa and San Pedro de Lóvago, seeking protection. In 1752, Bishop Pedro Morel de Santa Cruz, described the town with scattered houses on the mountain. The population at that time was 250 people.

On April 12, 1861, the current location of the municipality was assigned and the replacement of the old population of Lovigüisca, by the name of "Santo Tomás", was arranged. This name was chosen in honor of President Tomás Martínez, who authorized the transfer and personally inaugurated the new town. In 1861, Santo Tomás was converted into a municipality and in 1972 it acquired the status of a city.

The protection and promotion of local history has been assumed by the Lovigüisca Community Museum, a cultural institution that also promotes an important cultural agenda.

Advance dance school

Artistic expressions and manifestations

The School of Dance Cooperative ADVANCES brings together children and young people for the teaching of music and national dance.

The musical groups of the municipality are the Mariachi Lovigüisca, Yurielka Soza (the Daughter of the Mariachi) and the Mariachi Nuevo Internacional. Don José Antonio Orozco is a renowned soloist. In past decades, Grupo Hierba enjoyed great popularity throughout Nicaragua.


The legends mentioned in the municipality are the mermaid, the legend of Santiago, the goblins and the mysterious stories of El charco brujo.

Local figures who have contributed to history and culture

The lyrics of Santo Tomás find their best exponent in Wilfredo Espinoza Lazo. Poet, historian, researcher and cultural promoter, he is also the founder of the Lovigüisca Community Museum. Other notable writers are Martín Morales and Ricardo Boza Sánchez. The name of Vicente Sirias Sequeira (RIP) is linked to the record of local history. He is considered the first chronicler of the town.

Don Cornelio, Nelo, Bravo (RIP) is a benchmark of municipal culture. His business card listed the trades of rancher, farmer, banker, reveler, midwife, and jodedor. He was a renowned equestrian and country man.

Aurora Báez Bravo founded the Committee for Community Development and the Rubén Darío School. In addition, she is a defender of women's rights.

Writer Wilfredo Espinoza Lazo

Other sites of historical and cultural interest

Santo Tomás de Lovigüisca Community Museum, founded in 2008, offers the opportunity to learn about and study the different periods in the history of Santo Tomás. In its collection, numismatic pieces, archaeological objects and household objects from past centuries stand out.

La square stone it is a chair carved out of hard rock. Carved in 1920, it is a popular gathering place. It is placed in the viewpoint of the asylum for the elderly.

The Los Mollejones community preserves traces of the ancient lovigüiscas. In its surroundings there are also sites of geological interest. In addition, an improvised and clandestine landing strip was built in this place during the rebellion of Olama and Los Mollejones, in 1959.

The Los Duendes cave is so called because the locals affirm that these mysterious characters inhabit it. On the tour you will find engravings on the rocks and other natural attractions. It is located in the El Alto community.

On the road to San Pedro de Lóvago you can see a space with huge rocks that tell the story of a millenary geological past. In one of them the text “To the Atlantic” was engraved, alluding to the old roads that passed through here towards the mountainous area of ​​the Caribbean.


Carved in wood. The cabinetmakers Jairo Duarte Ortega and Professor Francisco Solano stand out, who work with techniques such as high and low relief.

Saddlery. Manufacture of belts, saddles and wallets with designs and high quality leather.

Tourist Offer Map


Share this information on your favorite social network!

Go to Top